![]() |
| Northern Sierras, California |
Artists who make objects versus conceptual artists who largely write, spend money to make those objects. As an oil painter myself, I can easily spend $15 for a moderately good paintbrush, and as much as $50 for a studio sized tube of professional grade paint (gulp!). If I don't have the time to build stretcher bars and cover them with canvas and gesso, I can seek out a pre stretched and primed commercial version for typically more than double the price. This art-making process is costly (at least I don't make bronze sculptures), so what do I do? Look for coupons! Sigh. In a shrewd effort (I believe) to seduce artist buyers, art supply distributers will allow coupon codes on select items, so in some cases, for example, you may only receive a discount on some of your order. A especially frugal artist may cost cross-analyze different suppliers, so by the time one chooses one, realizes the partial discount, tiredly hits the SUBMIT button in budgetary exhaustion.
I would surmise that all the artists in the visual arts---painters, printmakers, sculptors, ceramicists, and electronic media artists---all bargain shop, as well as other artists in music, theater, and performance. We are not known to be especially good business people (and the ones who are, are commercially-focused, and in my opinion, in a different type caste), so we struggle with the funds we have to live on, as we are more so dedicated to getting the materials we need to produce our art forms. I suppose that famous artists are sought to use and advertise art media so that the emerging artist feels he or she will become successful, but there are those artists, such as Andy Warhol and Lou Reed of the early Velvet Underground, who both rebelled against the social news media as young artists. Warhol succumbed (partially as his art form and partially as a business man) to the commercial system, as the Warholian magazine, Interview, manifested in the 1980's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interview_(magazine)
Lou Reed, on the other hand (who I listened to with gritted honest teeth), had a disdain for media and relinquished his privacy by refuting journalistic media. Nasty as he was reported to be, he stood his guardian dark angel position as a truthful artist for many years. He was loved for it. http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/227588/jou rnalists-remember-interviewing-lou-reed/ Laurie Anderson, a brilliant performance artist since the 1970's is/was Reed's wife, took him home from the hospital last week to die in their home. He died practicing tai chi while meditating on the trees seen from his window. http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/10/31/lou-reed-laurie-anderson/
He won.
![]() |
| Timothy Greenfield-Sanders |



No comments:
Post a Comment